Thursday, May 1, 2008

Composting and blogging

I suspect that this blog will be a bit like my compost pile. If you dig through my compost pile you will find bits and pieces of my life and dreams--not the whole story, but certainly enough to piece something together. In this blog, you will most likely find bits of pieces of my life--not the whole story, but enough to get a good idea of who I am.

Yesterday for an example when I was digging out compost for my seedling lily bed, I ran across some plastic spoons from our backyard wedding reception barbecue. As one might suspect with a backyard barbecue reception that involved plastic spoons, it was small and informal. As always, I had told my brother in law, who was cleaning up afterwards to put anything that would rot in the compost pile. Not being a gardener himself, I discovered later that he didn't quite get the concept that some things don't decay!

Then there was the "paper" coffee cup from our visit to Vermont in Jan, 07. Oh, to live in a place that feels country through and through--with spectacular views, family farms around every corner, and a natural beauty so intense all you want to do is stand very still and breath it in. One could spend a life time doing that in Vermont. Anyway, on our last day, we went to look at a piece of land that was for sale. Of course there was no way we could afford it, but dreams are always good! I wanted to bring a bit of Vermont back home, so while in the woods I pick up a discarded coffee cup and filled it with the beautiful sandy loam . The coffee cup ended up in the compost and when I saw the remnants of it yesterday it brought me a smile and a sigh. Dreams...dreams...

Then of course there are the many remnants from last years garden, food processing, and celebrations--the tomato vines that take forever to decay, the couple of rotting apples that I scavenged off of Craig's List, pistachio shells from last Christmas.

The compost pile is the source of life for the garden. Maybe I am strange, but I am attracted to compost piles. When I go visit a public garden I always go looking for the compost pile. Behind every beautiful garden is a rich compost pile! Without one, it is difficult to have a beautiful garden. The compost pile a place where useless scraps meld and blend together and turn into something rich and useful. I am hoping this blog will be a place like that for my scraps of ideas. A place to through out thoughts, put them together, let them ferment, and maybe end up with something useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.