Friday, July 11, 2008

Summer in the garden



It is that time of year when my garden starts looking like a jungle, with plants crowding each other and spilling into the pathways. I have this compulsion to cram as many plants as I possible can into my garden. I plant things much closer than recommended and my paths are narrow. Then of course, I've got to cram lettuce, herbs, beets, and other greens in between the bigger plants that are already too close together. I have basil, kale, and collards in between the tomatoes, buttercrunch lettuce and dill between the cucumbers, chiogia beets, spinach, and and a oriental greens mix between the broccoli. The good thing about cramming everything in close is that the weeds don't have any space to grow.

This has been the best growing season we've had here since I've lived in Michigan. Lots of rain, not too hot, and very few bugs. The flea beetles that normally destroy my early crop of kale and mustard were no where to be found. I haven't seen a cucumber beetle or squash bug. And there are only a few Japanese beetles. The only thing I quite quite figure out is why half the cucumbers are wilting and my yellow nugget wax beans have some kind of disease that is causing most of the leaves to turn brown and fall off. I'm debating whether or not I should pull these out and replant with with something else, or leave them and see if I get a crop.

Yesterday I pulled out the snap peas and spent this morning digging up the beds and working in several buckets of rabbit manure. This weekend I will plant lettuce, spinach, and green beans for the fall.

I let my chickens out to play in the garden while I am working in it. They are such great gardening companions. This morning I unearthed an ant hill and they went crazy pecking up the ants. They stay withing the confines of the garden, even though it isn't fenced in. Most likely it is because the larger plants offer shelter and make them feel protected. They will follow me around the yard, though when I leave the garden. They are still staying in their little wire cage and I bring them into the house at night. However, they are starting to wear out their welcome. Every morning I start my day by sweeping up all the chicken feed and dropping that somehow managed to get out of the cage. For all their cuteness, chickens are very messy birds! Then off course, there are all the tiny down feathers that they are shedding and filling the house with. This weekend my main project will be building them a coop.

2 comments:

  1. I just randomed upon your blog, and started looking at the pics of the food. I love the raspberries, and my kids and I love beets. My kids like them roasted, peeled, and sliced with a bit of plain yogurt on top.

    I also wanted to let you know that I love your bunny header. I looked out my back window and saw our dog with the biggest bunny I had ever seen in her mouth. It was like she was just holding it. I told her to put it down, she did, and it just ran off.

    Anyhoodle, great blog and veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Normally we have a big bunny problem in our neighborhood every spring. This spring and summer we only have one bunny--the one in photo...she is almost almost becoming like a pet in our backyard! She hasn't touched the garden...amazingly she prefers dandelions and clover to my delicious vegetables! Glad the bunny your dog caught didn't get hurt.
    We used to eat beets with yogurt or cottage cheese when I was a child. Thanks for reminding me of that--next time I make beets I'll have to do that.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.