We had strong winds and pounding rains on this weekend. Sadly the wind blew down the phoebe nest in the little barn and the 4 babies died of exposure before I found them.
On top of that, a raccoon strong armed his way into the upstairs of the chicken coop Saturday night and decapitated every one the Ameracauna chicks. Very disappointing and an upsetting way to start Sunday morning. Terry and I are both kicking ourselves because we were confident the coop was secure. We have had it for for two years and this has been the first problem with it. It looked like the coon actually pried on the door until the plywood snapped then wedged his way in, leaving plenty of fur on the wood. We are fortunate that we had blocked off the opening to the downstairs, to give the Ameracuanas some privacy, otherwise the adult chickens might all be dead too. Normally the adult chickens would roost up there at night.
Terry really liked these chicks and I was looking forward to pretty colored eggs. We may try to get some more. The worst part is they were from someone Terry works with and he is raising the other half of the batch as pets.
At the rate I loose chicks, I should start some kind of chicken memorial. In 2008 I lost 4 three week old Black Astrolourps to a raccoon. In 2009 it was 5 Buckeyes between one day old to 6 weeks old to natural and unknown causes. This year it is the Ameracauanas at 4 weeks old to another raccoon. In fact, the only chicks that have survived into adulthood are the California whites.
How sad! Raccoons can be so cute and yet so destructive! It's good that the adults survived though.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry, I know how upset you must be, I have things happen to our chickens before too, so sad.
ReplyDeleteI would shoot the racoon for sure, we had to kill an Opossum one time in ours. Hugs barbara
That's so sad! Guess it's the way nature works. How much can a single raccoon eat in one night? They must be smart, to be able to open a coop like that. Better luck on your next chicks!
ReplyDeleteEvery time something like this happens, I have to remind myself that nature is nature. So sorry to hear about the little chickens. I was looking forward to seeing the eggs, too.
ReplyDeletei'm sorry to hear about your losses. the pictures you provided shows me how beautiful your birds were. hopefully you'll get some new chickens soon and we can share in the excitement once again. hope all is well.
ReplyDeleteYou have to balance how much it cost to feed those chicks until now, with how much it would have cost to feed a good watchdog.
ReplyDeleteWow that was quite a nest. Doggone coons anyway!
ReplyDelete