This was a crazy weekend for work, with lots of patient visits. I'm staying up late tonight finishing up paperwork. It is on days like this that I need a reminder why I love being a visiting nurse. Today I got one of those reminders.
The driveway was a grassy two track through a swamp with willows, cattails, and stagnant water on either side. It wound quarter of a mile through the wet land, then through a thick dark hemlock forest. A tumbled down barn in the woods was the first sign that someone might have once lived here. Finally I came to a little disheveled house covered with spiderwebs. A pond covered with thick green algae stretched out beyond the house. A family of sand hill cranes--the parents and their half grown craneling--stood almost as if they were guarding the house, and made no move to flee when I stopped my SUV and got out.
I stood there for a few minutes just taking in the complete silence and the green darkness of the forest and water. Despite the eeriness, it was incredibly peaceful and beautiful.
When I knocked on the door, I half expected it to be answered by a little old lady with a broomstick and a tall black pointy hat. No such luck, but the 81 year old home bound woman who lived there was quite a character. You would have to be, to live alone in a run down house in the middle of a swamp by yourself at age 81!
Our goal as visiting nurses and therapists is to keep people home as long as it is safe for them to be home. It is a great privilege to help a person like this woman, live independently in the house she and her husband built together, surrounded by the wild animals, birds, and the wet lands she loves.
Kateri, that is so touching and beautiful. It makes my day to know there are people like you helping others :)
ReplyDeletesounds like the place you visited is beautiful with all its wildlife around. i'm pleased you're helping her stay there so she can continue to enjoy all that she knows. it's enough to make your heart swell. have a great day.
ReplyDeleteAweeeeee that is so sweet, you are a dear for going way out there and helping her, and bless that dear woman, wow 81 if God blesses perhaps I will see that one day, have a long way to go right now, but the way time is flying by, it could be tomorrow, heehee, good post dear, Hugs and Blessings, Barbara
ReplyDeleteDon't you hope that will be you at 81? I sure do. Thanks for a look at your work. And, know that you are needed and appreciated.
ReplyDeleteA very touching post! I can clearly understand how that part of your work can be very rewarding. It's a good feeling knowing that there are caring folks like yourself there to do it!
ReplyDeleteVery inspiring and encouraging, Kateri. This story made my day. :)
ReplyDeleteThank you to all of you. :)
ReplyDelete