Saturday, September 24, 2011

From the Garden this Week...


The garden is winding down for the year.


I picked the last of the large tomatoes and canned six more quarts today for a grand total total of 20 quarts. There are several plants of Italian Plum that are still ripening. Today I dehydrated a a few pounds of these in the oven. (I have an oven with a dehydrate setting.) I think that is what I will do with the rest of them as they ripen.


(Plum tomatoes dehydrating in the oven on parchment paper.)


Last Thursday I picked the four largest Kaitlin cabbages and processed them into sauerkraut. I haven't made sauerkraut for years, but it is a pretty simple process. The basic process can be summed up in one sentence: Slice, salt, and pack cabbage into jars then let it sit for week to lacto-ferment into sauerkraut. I did this many times when living on the homestead. There is always the chance a couple of jars will spoil. My four large cabbages made about 5 quarts. I'm a little nervous that I will end up with spoiled cabbage, but hopefully I'm worrying for nothing. I peeked into the jars today and the cabbage was bubbling away and smelled good, so it looks like the kraut is off to a good start.


One of the things I am loving from my garden right now is raspberries. An older friend from church gave me several starts from her raspberry patch that was planted by her mother in law more than 60 years ago. I have no idea what kind of raspberries they are, but they are the biggest fall raspberries I have ever seen. Very sweet, too, and more purple than red.


The tomatoes may not have done well this year, but the peppers and eggplants did. Today I froze 7 quarts of peppers. That should keep us supplied for chili, sloppy joe, and stews all winter long.


I'm completely sold on Fairy Tale eggplants. The compact plants produce dozens of small, sweet, tender fruits. They are so good you can eat them raw right off the plant. This is the first time I've had success with growing eggplants. I've been preserving the extra in olive oil with a bit of basil and garlic as they mature.


I still have some green beans to pick, lots of fall greens that I will be eating through November, carrots still in the ground, and several root crops to harvest. The pumpkins continue to look good and I am just waiting for the vines to die back before I pick them.

How is your garden doing? Are you still harvesting or are you done for the season?



13 comments:

  1. Wow, those raspberries look amazing!!
    I am actually still harvesting some of the heirloom Italian and Mexican zucchini. The tomatoes have stopped ripening so I think I will be picking some more green to do something with.
    I just planted my fall/winter garden two weeks ago and it is doing great, the snow peas, lettuce, spinach, carrots, rutabagas and parsnips are all up and growing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candy, I'm a bit jealous of your winter garden! I will be picking kale, endive, and brussel sprouts into November, but that will be about it. We are going to need a cold frame to extend some of the more tender crops farther into the season. It won't happen this year though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your raspberries sound a lot like the best ones I've found in gardens around our place. I'm dying to get some starters from them but unfortunately rarely see the garden owners.

    I'll be canning peppers today in vinegar we still have tomatoes ripening. Pretty jealous of the dehydrating setting in your oven -- that sounds really cool. We're always talked about building a solar dehydrator at some point which I still think would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiffany, The raspberry bushes many have originally come from Europe, as my friend's mother in law was from Lithuania.

    I have the coolest stove ever. The oven has all kinds of neat settings--it was the dehydrate setting that sold me on it though when we were looking for a new stove. It works really well and I don't have to worry about having a extra appliance for dehydrating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks great! I must say, after the last couple of weekends of marathon canning salsa/spaghetti sauce, I'm ready for the garden to give up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teresa, I know that feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a wonderful bounty you are still having.

    The gardens here are winding down as well. I Haven't made saurkraut since my in-laws lived with us...my MIL made the best saurkraut...it was a fun day. I miss those days...maybe it's time to try it myself.

    Great post.

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great garden! You had a wonderful harvest, I never thought of freezing peppers (I'm new to preserving my harvest), I have so many I was wondering what to do with them all- I think I know what my afternoon chore is- Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. April, good luck with freezing your peppers. They are easy--you don't even have to blanch them--just chop and toss into a bag.

    Treasures--homemade sauerkraut if the best, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kateri-
    Your produce looks wonderful. I really liked the raspberries and eggplants. Those have got to be the cutest eggplants ever. I hope I can find that variety or seed next season. Good luck with your next harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heidi, I got them from Johnny's Selected Seeds (my favorite seed catalog).

    ReplyDelete
  12. You still have a lot growing- I just have green tomatoes, always green.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have a wonderfully productive garden! Fresh produce is a real treat.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.