Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Annual Garlic Giveaway!

This giveaway is now closed. 
The winner is Faith from Crochet by the Sea. 

With cooler weather and fall comes garlic planting time. I spent several hours yesterday and today separating garlic cloves for planting. This fall I am planting enough to have a small crop to sell next summer and fall. 

And just because the garlic giveaway that we did last year was so much fun, we are doing it again this year (this might just become a yearly tradition!). One lucky winner will get three nice sized bulbs of three different varieties of garlic. This organically grown garlic will arrive in time to plant in your garden this fall for harvest next summer, or you can use the cloves in cooking this fall and winter. Garlic can be planted any time in the fall--now until the ground freezes. For complete garlic planting instructions, see my post, Almost Time to Plant Garlic. 

You will get three bulbs each of the following varieties:

German Extra Hardy is a very hardy, porcelain heirloom garlic. It has large bulbs with 4-5 giant cloves per bulb. Nice mild garlicky flavor and a good keeper. 


Chesnok Red is a beautiful rocambole garlic with striped purple wrappings, that holds it's flavor well when cooked. 8-12 uniform cloves per bulb. This garlic has won the title of "Best Baking Garlic" in tests done by both Martha Steward and Rodale Press. 


Kettle River Giant is an heirloom artichoke garlic which I am told can get up to 4 inches across. Mine have yet to get that large, but I appreciate this softneck garlic for it's ability to keep well, and it has a nice medium heat and garlicky flavor. 10 to 14 medium cloves per bulb. Another nice feature about this Kettle River Giant is that the unlike most softneck garlic, the center cloves remain a nice, usable size. 


Sherlock and Watson seem to highly approve of the idea of growing more garlic. I do believe dried garlic stems and wrappings are on the list of their top 5 favorite things to eat. 


They were a big help in in the clean up after I was done with separating garlic bulbs!


How to Enter the Give Away:

If you already are a regular reader of Dandelion Haven, simply leave a comment below. If you aren't a regular reader, please choose one of the three options in the upper right hand corner of the blog to subscribe or follow Dandelion Haven.  For a second chance to win, mention this giveaway on your blog or share this post on the social media of your choice and leave a comment letting me know that you did. Please make sure there is a way I can contact you if you are the winner! 

This giveaway ends 9/19/12 at midnight, EST.

"Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian; wine and tarragon make it French. Sour cream makes it Russian; lemon and cinnamon make it Greek. Soy sauce makes it Chinese; garlic makes it good."
 - Alice May Brock

Linked to No Ordinary Homestead, and Farmgirl Friday. 


28 comments:

  1. Yummy! I adore garlic but have never grown it successfully. Maybe this is my year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure to check out my link on growing garlic. It really is easy to grow, but there are a few steps you need to follow.

      Delete
  2. YAY! Another garlic giveaway!! Please enter me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love garlic. We've been collecting different varieties this summer to plant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And on shared this on my personal and professional facebook page :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Garlic is the best thing that ever happened to food!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog. I would love to plant garlic for the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I shared your link on Twitter
    annwwins@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love garlic. I love to cook with garlic. My mother and husband are always asking me, "HOW much garlic did you put in this?" Yes, I love garlic. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was going to ask you if I could buy some garlic from you. If I don't win can I buy some? I really like garlic that is fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, thank you for asking. Next year I will have some to sell. This year everything I have is going back into the ground, I've already prepped it all for planting, except for these bulbs and a handful to tide us over the winter. I'm looking forward to being able to offer some for sale next fall.

      Delete
  10. Garlic makes it good...no doubt about it. I planted some last year from bulb I bought at the grocery store...they were very small and dried up. This will be my 3rd year planting garlic, it is great fun to plant in the fall, and in the spring...you begin to see the little sprigs of green....yippeee......:) Please include me in on your drawing...what fun...thanks for asking...I'd be happy to include a blip about your giveaway on my blog, spreading the word ......it will be on tomarows posting..

    ReplyDelete
  11. ps it is posted now...good luck to all the entries....thank you Kateri....this will be so fun..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your helpers! I would certainly like to win. I would love to plant some more garlic. I'll definitely share this on Facebook too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a regular reader. I love your garlic giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I posted about your givaway on FB last night, but forgot to come back and tell you so. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  15. How weird. I posted last night that I am a regular reader of your blog, but it isn't showing up now. :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason it went to spam, Michelle. Not sure why. Just published it, so you are good.

      Delete
  16. You are wise and though you may have learned many things the hard way, you have much to offer your readers. You are kind and smart and love animals (and garlic) which makes you special to me. Glad I came over to visit. I will return because I think you have a lot to say that I can learn from.

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea! Glad to have you here. :)

      Delete
  17. Well they say you learn something new everyday and today I certainly have because I had no clue there was more then one type of Garlic. Very interesting. The purple variety there fascinated me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! Please enter me...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just planted garlic for the first time this year. I would love to win this giveaway. New fan here also.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Enter me please

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your blog. It makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would love some new varieties to try.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.