Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Tree Swallows

I got to watch this pair of tree swallows build their nest this afternoon. Or rather, I should say, I watched the female build the nest. She was busy all day flying back and and forth, carrying bits of straw, moss, and pine needles for the nest, while her partner sat on the fence and preened and sang all day long. I just hope that he'll be bringing her breakfast, lunch, and dinner while she is sitting on those eggs later on!







Edited to add--I some how labled these birds as barn swallows. They are tree swallows. Barn swallows have orange throats and buiild their nests in rafters and under the eves of buildings. Tree swallows are cavity nesters. 

7 comments:

  1. How funny is that! What a beautiful pair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun to watch them! I see my barn swallows have returned as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love watching barn swallows...such busy little birds. Our came back just last week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's probably telling her that he's keeping watch so she'll be safe! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos! I'm pleased that we also have several pairs nesting in our boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always get the swallows confused! What wonder behavior shots! LOVE these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos! It is so fun to watch them building and this sequence is almost as good as a video. :)

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.