Saturday, September 13, 2008

A little bit of everything bread

I love it when my house smells like fresh baked bread--that is half the reason why I bake, and it is why I made bread today. My house smells so musty when it rains. Baking bread freshens the house so nicely. I rarely ever follow a recipe when I make bread. Often people ask me for my bread recipes. Honestly, usually there isn't one. I usually just throw in whatever I have at the moment--that is what I did today.

I started out with the basics--yeast, water, and honey, whole wheat bread flour and a little white bread flour. That all got mixed together in my kitchen aid mixer. Then I added some left over mashed potatoes, rice flour, teff flour and some fava bean flour. It wasn't until my dough was pretty stiff that I realized I had forgotten to put in oil and salt (I am a very disorganized baker!), so I threw in some oil, salt and flax seeds. In spite of my haphazard approach, 99% of the time my bread turns out great and smells fabulous.

I love my kitchen aid mixer. I can throw in all my ingredients, put in on speed 2, and putter around the kitchen for twenty minutes or so, and take out beautiful elastic dough.

1 comment:

  1. I love the crock you have your utensils in! that is just my style...

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.