Thursday, June 24, 2010
Silver Laced Wyandottes
One of my patients' bought 4 little chicks in early April, thinking he would build a coop in his back yard and have fresh eggs all summer long. It turned out the project was just a little too ambitious for his current state of health and one day last week the chicks ended up in my SUV and came home to live with my California Whites. They are about 9 weeks old and in theory we are suppose to have four hens, but I'm thinking I see two roosters and two hens. See how the combs and coloring on the heads are different on the two in the center? It will be another couple of months before they start laying large brown eggs. These chickens get quite large. The hens are up to 6 lbs and the roosters up to 8 lbs, so they still have a lot of growing to do as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
They already look quite at home. Have you had this kind before?
ReplyDeleteNo I have never had this kind before. I love the way they look and they have nice temperments and are supposed to be good egg layers. Hopefully I can keep them alive until they are adults!
ReplyDeleteThose are good looking, husky birds! I hope you have better luck with them!
ReplyDeleteThey are good looking chickens! Because of early comb development, those might be roosters. One way I can usually tell is when their neck feathers get pointy on the ends. Still, we've had hens develop early and roosters develop late.
ReplyDelete