Sunday, June 5, 2011

Watkins Glen

Watkins Glen is a a gorge cut into the escarpment of Seneca Lake, the deepest of the Finger Lakes. The one and a half mile hike is a magical wonderland of waterfalls, pools, tunnels, and stonework--some of the stonework is man made and much more is carved out by nature.

To enter the glen, you go through a tunnel cut into the cliff then cross over a little stone bridge. (As you can see,  there is some repair work being done at the entrance.)


The stonework was done as part of the public works projects that gave many men work and helped them support their families after the great depression. The bridges and other stonework in the glen are a stunning example of how man made structures can compliment nature instead of detracting from it.


The one and half mile hike contains a series of 19 waterfalls. Several of the waterfalls you can walk behind.


The patterns worn into the stone gorge by thousands of years of flowing water are stunning.



Several bridges criss cross the gorge. This foot bridge connects the lower trail with the ones along the top.


I almost felt like I had stepped into a fairy tale--where else can you find 19 waterfalls, ancient looking stone work, and so much natural beauty all packed into one place?





This one was my favorite waterfall--rainbow falls. It is a delicate fall almost like a bride's veil, that cascades from the top of the cliff into the gorge. The trail goes under this fall.


I saw a lot of plants I did not recognize, but not a lot blooming. (It looks like if you want to see unusual wild flowers, the best time to visit would be early May.) One of the few things that was in bloom was columbines. They grew abundantly on the rocky walls over looking the stream.


A rail road bridge spans the gorge at the end of the trail.


There are three hiking trails--one that is deep in the gorge and two that run along the rim. All the above photos were taken during the hike on the gorge trail. We walked back along one of the rim trails. These last two photos were taken from the rim trail, looking into the gorge.



(Next post---we explore the Niagara Glen.)

7 comments:

  1. Wow, this is much prettier than I thought it would be. Was it crowded?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really wasn't crowded. We were there the week before memorial day. I'm told that the best time to go is before memorial day both because there are fewer people and the water levels are higher. The state parks do not offically open until memorial day weekend, but the trails are accessible before that.

    Several years ago, I spent two weeks hiking in the Canadian Rockies with all its natural splendor, and this short hike totally rivals anything I saw there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place that is! I'm amazed at how well they made the rock work fit in with the natural surroundings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kateri, What a lovely spot! I have never been to New York. You took excellent pictures. Have a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, how beautiful set of photos! That is the place where I would like to visit and spend my time. Thank You presenting this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank-you for sharing these amazing photos. So beautiful! Sounds like you had a great trip.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.