Friday, August 12, 2011

The Ultimate Play Tree

A cascade of branches sweep the ground., hiding an interior that is....


...a play set with jungle gym and twisted monkey bars...


a place for the imagination to run wide...a place to sit and dream...


a place to climb to the skies and explore the stars...


It is an European Weeping Beech and is hardy in zones 4 to 7...and is now on the top of my list of trees to plant on our 13 acres.  I'm wondering why I've never seen one before. My brother who is as interested in plants as I am, had never seen one either. As you may tell from the photos we both were completely enamored with this beautiful tree. How did we manage to get through childhood with out this tree?


Photos taken on our trip to the Hidden Lake Gardens last weekend.

5 comments:

  1. that's awesome! i would LOVE one of those trees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love old trees...especially those with branches suitable for climbing...
    that is the most awesome looking place...under the tree...protected by it's willowy branches & leaves...like a secret cave...hiding place...love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's on my list now, too! I love weeping trees, but my husband says willows are the messiest tree to maintain, and he never wants one on our property. Maybe this weeping birch would be the perfect compromise! Love the photos of you climbing in the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a super tree that is! Wish I'd seen them when my kids were small!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.