Monday, August 15, 2011

Rooster Dilemma

Sometimes I wish I had paid more attention to our flock of chickens when I was growing up. They were just part of life--I remember chasing them out the garden, collecting eggs, lots of chicken droppings in inconvenient places, and eating them when they got old. I don't remember much about dynamics in the chicken coop.

(The rooster with his hens.)

As a result, I'm completely at loss when the sweet black australorp rooster that I hand picked to keep out of seven roosters, suddenly decided to grow up and  misbehave. I'm sure he is just being a rooster, but my gosh, he couldn't be more obnoxious! (Yes, seven of these 12 chicks turned out to be roosters--I was hoping for six hens, but ended up with five.)

 In addition to the five little hens that were part of the dozen chicks I bought this spring, I have three older hens, who I raised from chicks 3 years ago. This rooster has no interest what so ever in the young hens. Given the opportunity, he spends all day chasing and mating with the older hens. The older hens hate this and act like they are deathly afraid of him, and it it is also tearing out their back feathers and bloodying their combs. With winter approaching, it is important that the hens be in the best health possible so they can overwinter well.

(My california whites--these were my illegal back yard hens when I still lived in the city.)

I leave the laying hens in the coop until after they have laid their eggs for the day. When the hens are cooped up, the rooster literally spends hours pacing back and forth in front of the coop, trying to get in. He is clearly upset by not being able to get at the older hens.

(Waiting for the older hens to be let out of the coop.)

The last few days I have been grabbing the rooster when I let the young hens out of the coop in the morning and locking him up in solitary confinement. I hate locking a chicken up. It is so against the nature of a chicken to be in a cage. They are made to hunt for bugs, take dust bathes, and to run around in the sunshine and fresh air. It seems positively cruel to keep one locked up most of the day. The older hens do go to  bed about an hour earlier than that the young hens, so I am able to let him out for a little while at the end of the day.

Interestingly, the younger hens all hang around the cage with rooster when they are out. This is actually a good thing. The australorps are diggers unlike the California whites and can quickly do a lot of damage in the garden...so confining the rooster seems to limit how far his flock of hens goes.

(Locked up in solitary confinement for multiple counts of rape.)

I'm linking this post to the Barn Hop over at Homestead Revival. For those of you who have a flock of hens with a rooster, what is your experience? I have read that you really need six hens to one rooster.  I have 9 hens all together. Once the 5 young ones are mature (they should start laying in October) will this rooster be less obnoxious  toward the older hens?  Other than this one problem, he seems to be a pretty decent rooster. I don't want to give him away if I don't have too, but at the same time, I want to make sure my flock of hens stay strong and healthy.

I'm wondering if a banty rooster would be the way to go...(thinking ahead for next spring.)?

9 comments:

  1. If you aren't planning to let your hens hatch out their own eggs, you do not need a rooster. Your hens will all be happier without him! I am having the same dilemna with my roosters! I fear I may have to 'dispatch' them! My older hens won't even come down off the roost for fear of them! I have never had this problem in the 50 years I have raised chickens! (I started when I was very young!):>

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't NEED a rooster, but your eggs are healthier to eat if they are fertilized. Separate the older hens in their own yard and keep the rooster with just the younger hens for a season and see if he doesn't calm down. If all else fails, eat him and start over with a new rooster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are a little slow keeping up with the butchering so we always have a handful of roosters at any time--but only one can be top cock. He's so busy defending his position from all comers that he doesn't have time to wear out the hens with his exuberance. The other roosters, that way, take turns calling his bluff while the others raid his harem.

    I say you need another rooster--get a young one who has a chance to grow into it, though, or he might not survive the first fight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the comments!

    I know I don't need a rooster to just have eggs, but my goal is for the australorp hens to have chicks in the spring. They are supposed to be good broody hens and good mothers.

    Interesting that maybe the answer is to have two roosters--I had two silver laced wyandotte roosters through the winter, with only 5 hens and they didn't bother the hens so much. (I gave them away this spring, because they were getting a little to vicious toward humans and didn't want my husbands little grandsons getting hurt by them. Or myself either for that matter!)

    Thanks for the food for thought. I'm am going to continue to keep him separated for a while until the young hens are grown and see what happens from there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We always had chickens, but I didn't pay attention either. Sorry, I can help.

    Your rooster is a good looking guy, isn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have 6 laying hens and 4 pullets which should start laying by the end of the month. We have one rooster. He isn't interested in the younger hens yet either. When we had his brothers, the coop was in chaos. They all wanted to pillage and the older hens were stressed. When we got rid of all but the one, the coop is so quiet and the hens and young hens are happy. I think he'll start sharing his stuff when the young hens are ready. That's what I'm hoping for with my flock. Let me know what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have dozens of free range hens and roosters all at one time most of the year (unti I butcher off roosters). Each rooster seems to select his harem of hens and all seems fine. However, the young ones will "gang bang" hens when one has one down, the others run and hop her too. I do hate that part. I think that Daniel Buck had some good advice. Good luck. Blessings from Wisconsin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandy, Yes, he is a good looking rooster!

    Carmen, Dicky Bird, and The primative home--thanks for sharing your observations. It sounds like each situation is different. I do really like how our rooster watches out for the hens when he is free ranging with them. He seems like a very good rooster, except for this one aspect. We will see how this all turns out in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My grandmother always had chickens until she became too ill to take care of them. One of my favorite memories is "gathering eggs" with her. She loved her banties (? sp) but sorry I am not able to tell you more than that. I wish I could ask her about your question as she had 70 some years experience with chickens.
    Hope your dilemma resolves.
    Beverly

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.