Saturday, June 2, 2012

Exploring the Wide Wide World

Our new flock of California White pullets got to spend the day outside exploring the jungle of grass and weeds and learning about the delights of  bugs and worms and wood sorrel.

Nine days old.
All under my watchful eye, of course---as I weeded the blueberries, potted up tomato plants and power washed the picket fence that encloses the front flower garden---because our number one egg thief and wanna be baby snatcher was prowling around the coop and yard in broad daylight this afternoon.

The neighborhood leucistic raccoon.

   (Of which I need to get a better photo.)

20 comments:

  1. What cute explorers! That's an unusual looking coon, but I'll bet his instincts are perfectly normal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly loves to eat chicken eggs--and I wouldn't trust any raccoon around baby chicks!

      Delete
  2. So cute. I love them! Nice post; I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your first photo, reminds me of the pullets we sometimes raised as children on the farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little neighbor girl came by and spent an hour playing with the chicks yesterday. She didn't want to to home. :) We often had chicks growing up, I don't remember playing with them. In fact, I don't remember much at all about the chickens growing up. I'm enjoying them so much more as an adult.

      Delete
  4. We used to have baby chicks all the time, when I was a kid. I miss them. I had to look up the raccoon, couldn't figure out what it was.

    What a good caretaker you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my neighbors got a much better photo the raccoon--it really looks exotic. She said I could post it, which I will when I get a minute. If I didn't know that there is a partially albino raccoon in the nieghborhood prior to seeing it, I'm not sure I would have known what it was.

      Delete
  5. Love that first picture with your chickies all in a row!!
    I had to look up the raccoon too! The stuff I learn through blogging! :)
    When I Googled, it said there is a study trying to validate sightings, have you "turned him in"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't turned her in. :) This raccon has been sighted in the nieghborhood for the past three years, this is the first year I have seen it though. I has taken to hanging around the chicken coop in broad daylight for the past few weeks. I normally let the chickens free range with the coop open during the day, but the raccoon was eating all the eggs, so for the moment I am keeping them locked up until I can collect the eggs, then they get to free range for a few hour before sunset.

      Delete
  6. We have a tree with coons in it. Hopefully they will not get our sweet corn later this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't have a problem with coons in the corn last summer, we will see what happens this summer! We have plenty of raccoons for sure!

      Delete
  7. Hi Kateri, How wonderful about the blonde Raccoon (except for being a baby snatcher of course). I sure wish you luck and happiness with your flock. I love reading your blog, by the way. I like your style and variety and of course, your pics. Have a super good coming week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wildlife watcher! It is a special coon for sure, just have to keep the baby chicks safe! From what I understand partially albino raccoons are pretty uncommon.

      Delete
  8. Hi there - that raccoon is good value! Although the chicks may not agree!

    We are having a bit of a storm here tonight - its winter!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am sure the chicks don't care if the coon is exotic or not--as long as it stays away from them. :)

      Amazing to think that winter is starting on the other side of the globe...

      Delete
  9. I can remember my Grandma's face just smiling at little chicks. She loved them.
    Yours are cutie!
    Poor little racoon has lost his identifying colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love watching the chicks grow...it just isn't the same starting out with adult chickens. :)

      Delete
  10. The chicks are adorable! I am so not a fan of raccoons. I've lost too many birds to them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a CUTE little bunch of chicks!!

    i've never seen a raccoon like that! it almost looks like a lemur!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.