I'm putting out a request that the remainder of my siblings who aren't married yet plan for a winter wedding. A destination wedding on a lovely beach in some tropical island in the month of February would be perfect. Then I wouldn't have to worry about coming home to a huge pile of ripe (and overripe) vegetables and a garden that is looking miserable because it was 90 degrees and sunny the whole time I was away.
Not that I am complaining that my youngest brother and his bride chose to get married in her home state of Maine. It just meant that I would have to plan my vacation in the middle of harvest--because if I am going to drive 18 hours to a state I've never been to before, I am going to need some time to explore--especially if that state happens to be Maine!
Stay tuned for several posts on our adventures in Maine--and the couple of days we spent in the Finger Lakes area in upstate New York (which will be written in between canning and freezing the green beans, tomatoes, and cucumbers pictured above which I spent all picking today after getting home late last night).
In the meantime, here is a small sampling of photos from some of the places we visited...
| Lobster traps on the wharf and tubs full of sorted lobsters floating in the harbor in New Harbor, Maine, one of the few remaining working fishing villages in southern Maine. |
| There were many mushrooms in the woods at the Rachel Carson nature preserve in Wells, Maine. |
| Dawn at Seneca Lake, the largest and deepest of all the Finger Lakes. |
| Pemaquid lighthouse at Pemaquid Point near Bristol, Maine. |
Linked to Macro Monday and Mandarin Orange Monday.
Looks like the harvest was very good.
ReplyDeleteGreat photos - especially those orange mushrooms! I also like the rocks in the last one. You also might like to join in on Mandarin Orange Monday:)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos!
ReplyDeleteGorgeous photos! Someday I would love to visit Maine...but it won't happen until someone else is milking our cows! It looks like you'll be super busy with all those veggies...I'm curious to hear what all you do with them.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Alicia! It has got to be hard to get away when you have a dairy farm! I'm canning the tomatoes and freezing the green beans. I may just compost the cucumbers--I've already canned at least 40 quarts of pickles this summer--and these really are a bit old for pickles.
DeleteThe kids want to know what the white veggie is on top of the cucumbers. Love your pictures.
ReplyDeleteThose are eggplants, Debbie. This is the first time I have grown white eggplants. They seem to be quite productive.
DeleteOh my word, look at all those beans!! You are going to be busy, busy! Love the sneak-peek of Maine, especially the orange mushrooms! :)
ReplyDeleteYes, I am going to busy...freezing green beans is a lot of work! :)
DeleteGoodness, you have a wonderful harvest. WOW. I love the orange mushrooms. That is a wonderful shot.
ReplyDeleteYael from Home Garden Diggers
Very nice photos!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your lovely orange mushrooms with Mandarin Orange Monday:)
ReplyDeleteFantastic shots!
ReplyDeleteI played too. Mine is here.
So beautiful! It looks like it was a very wonderful trip. I'm jealous of all that produce, but I know how overwhelming it must be to come back to that.
ReplyDeleteHi Kateri, Nice photos. If it makes you feel any better, you have a kindred spirit here. I was dismayed a couple of months ago to come home from a week's vacation to find that the deer, who hardly ever come around, had been feasting on all of my veggies - with help from the rabbits and ground hog. Oh well. Have a fine Wednesday tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteGreat captures.
ReplyDeletewow...beautiful yummy bounty...AND pictures!!
ReplyDelete