Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Moonlight and Evening

 Barefoot, I walk out to the garden. The air is gray and cool and smells of dirt and dill. Dodging water droplets, the wet earth soft on my feet,  I move the sprinkler to another section of tangled weeds and vegetables. In the distance goat bells chime. 
I stop at the barn yard to latch the gate and offer a goodnight treat to two little goats. The moon rises round and serene over the treeline.
Before heading  back inside where pickles and green beans wait to be processed, I stop and breathe deep of moonlight and evening. With each breath of evening, perfect contentment fills my lungs and courses through my veins. 



(This is my attempt at writing Zuihitsu, which is a genre of Japanese literature consisting of loosely connected personal essays and fragmented ideas that typically respond to the author's surroundings. The name is derived from two Kanji meaning "to follow" and "brush", and thus works of the genre should be considered not as traditionally planned literary pieces but rather as casual or randomly recorded thoughts by the author. For more information about Zuithitsu, click here.)




13 comments:

  1. "I stop and breathe deep of moonlight and evening."

    Lovely. Thank you for taking me along on tasks remembered from childhood--especially the bare feet in the garden. Of course, I was a kid in 4-H, not a responsible and content adult on a farm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such memories that flood me from reading this...a summer garden, the kitchen full of the smells of canning...a break from the heat in the moonlight. Beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the goat bells :) I think you did an outstanding job and this is exactly what we were supposed to do... of which I missed by quite a bit. Soothing and beautiful this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think your 'attempt' is a success. very nice!
    aaaaah...nothing like a night time stroll with the moon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also loved the goat bells tinkling in the distance. What a lovely snippet of life as lived on your own land. It sounds perfect in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nicely done Kateri! Makes me feel I'm right there with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! It sounds like the perfect evening to me! Would those treats happen to be banana? Millie says apples are really good too. and Strawberries! and peanuts! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that would have been bananas. You would think they are related to monkeys how they go crazy over bananas. :) Gotta buy a bag of peanuts one of these days.

      Delete
  8. The moon rises round and serene over the treeline.

    LOVE this and ALL wonderful entry!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this....very steam of conscious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW I love this! it was a mini vaca for me! I am not familur with the writing style and if you are "doing it right"

    But you are "doing it right for me!" it was beautiful to read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did a beautiful job in your writing. The fall I want to learn to draw. We have to try or we will never learn.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.