Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Making Yarn the Old Fashioned Way

This is how I've been spending my evenings this week. Washing a fleece, then carding the wool by hand, and spinning it into yarn using a drop spindle may not be the quickest way to make yarn, but I find it the perfect way to relax by the wood stove in the evening after my work is done. 


(This is alpaca fiber--one of my brothers sent me a large box of raw fleece from several different colored alpacas last winter. I am finally getting to washing and spinning the fiber.)

12 comments:

  1. It s certainly beautiful! It looks like a lot of work as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't difficult, but it is time consuming!

      Delete
  2. Kudos to you, Kateri! Looks like you've got the drop spindle mastered! From what I can see, you've got great consistency in your yarn. Alpaca is wonderful to work with, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Since this is for basketweaving, I'm *trying* to get a few slubs in the yarn for character. This is the first time I've worked with alpaca fiber. I'm quite enjoying it.

      Delete
  3. Reminds me of Little House on the Prairie nights. It's great to something useful to do with your hands even under low light or when needing to relax some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang, I wish I lived near you so you could teach me how to use my drop spindle! Your yarn is really coming out nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using a drop spindle isn't that difficult. I hope you find someone local who can teach you how to use yours.

      Delete
  5. I love crocheting and knitting but have never been fortunate enough to know how to spin my own yarn. Awesome! What do you intend on making with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, this yarn will be part of a wild willow basket. I learned how to crochet when I was little, but never did anything with it and don't know how to knit. I do like to spinning yarn though!

      Delete
  6. I have always wanted to learn to spin yarn. Maybe next year at the wool expo in the town north of us, I might be able to learn. IF I remember to check the weekend mid summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like crocheting and stamp collecting but have never been lucky enough to know how to whirl my own string. Awesome! What do you anticipate creating with it?
    Alpaca Wool Clothing

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.