Tuesday, June 24, 2008

It's a great big scary world out there....

At least if you are only a week and a half old and you are a California White chicken!

Terry and I picked up our baby chicks on Sunday. For now we are keeping them safe inside in a wire cage. When they get a little bigger they will go outside in an animal proof coop. They are very active little birds, constantly running, jumping, and trying out there wings. When they are in their cage, they want to be in the highest spot possible. I took them outside today when I was working the in the garden and opened the door of the cage. I expected a mad rush to freedom. Instead they all turned around and huddled in their shoe box nest with their backs to the world. The funny thing is they never even use their nest when they are inside. I think this is the first time they 've been inside the box. It took a while, but finally one mustered up the courage to step outside...but she didn't stay out for long. After a few minutes she went back inside and rejoined her friends in the shoe box. And here I had been worrying about chasing them through the neighborhood trying to catch them after I let them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.