Thursday, June 26, 2008

Todays Harvest

I pulled the first beets and carrots from the garden today, just in time for Terry's birthday dinner. The beets are Chiogia--this is the first time I have grown them and I am impressed! They are pink and they don't bleed like red beets do, thus eliminating staining. The flavor is mild and sweet, without the dark earthiness a lot of beets have. They are exquisitely beautiful when cooked and sliced. Terry doesn't normally comment on the appearance of food, but he did on this vegetable "What is that?" he exclaimed when he say the plate. "It looks like jewels!"

I prepared these the way I most often prepare young beets. I wash the beets and about half the beet greens. I boil the beets until tender, then peel and slice them, add a clove of crushed garlic, some olive oil, and vinegar, then set aside. Then I steam the greens until tender, drain off any water, and add the sliced beets and warm until the "bite" is gone from the garlic. Can be served warm or cold. Here I presented them warm on the bed of beet greens next to a blue cheese porterhouse steak.

Also from the garden...Nantes Half Long carrots and Sugar Ann and Mega snap peas.....a crunchy addition to the meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.