Friday, May 4, 2012

Dream Woods

Digging myself out from under a massive pile of garlic mustard to post some photos of a neighboring woods....the kind of woods I hope to have myself sometime in the future. A woods filled with Trillium grandiflorum as far as eye can see with not a single garlic mustard plant to found:





Now, excuse me as I head back out to my woods to pull more garlic mustard, so that my dreams of having a woods that is carpeted with trillium's (with a few jack in the pulpit thrown in for good measure) from edge to shining edge can come true.

(And this a great article if you ever wanted to know what it takes to encourage trillium in your woods.)

17 comments:

  1. So beautiful. It must wonderful wood when it is full with this flowere. Trillium grandiflorum is not here in Finland, but it is slod as ornamental plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky to have them growing wild here. I have seen them in nurseries around here as well, and they are quite expensive.

      Delete
  2. Looking at your pictures, I think I might have a small patch, but I've never seen it bloom. I'm certainly going to check out your great article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are several different kinds of trilliums, with different color flowers but all have the same leaf pattern the the three petals. If you find that you do have, I hope you will post photos!

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a beautiful "carpet" for the woods! I hope you can get rid of all the garlic mustard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! (We are dilligently working at erradicating the garlic mustard!)

      Delete
  4. What a sight that is! Those are much larger than the trilliums we have here. They're gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trilliums you have been posting on your blog do look a bit more delicate, but still very pretty--and I like the rich color they turn the older they get!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely sight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the wildflowers in the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kateri, I have not seen these flowers before. Beautiful! Glad you are succeeding in your quest about the Garlic Mustard. Have a wonderful Sunday tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We are making progress with the garlic mustard!

      Delete
  8. Hi Kateri, the trilliums are a protected flower here in Canada. Aren't they beautiful? I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, thanks for stopping by! These trilliums are the official flower of Ontario, aren't they? I do believe they are protected here, as well. Thanks for the follow, and heading over to your blog now to t check it out.

      Delete
  9. I like your phrase "from edge to shining edge." I wish I could see a field of flowering trilliums like the one you show here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks! I'm lucky to have this woods near where I live. I have never seen trilliums this thick anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.