Sunday, April 29, 2012

Mystery Nest

Look what I found when I was looking for tree frogs under the cover of the propane tank...


A nest made of pine needles and moss, with five small speckled eggs.


I haven't seen the bird yet, and have never seen a nest like this before.


I am hoping one of my readers will be able to tell me what kind of a bird's nest this is.


The opening to the propane cover...it does look like it would make a cozy home. (The tree frogs certainly think so. In the summer there are always one or two under the covers of both our propane tanks.)

Update: I haven't seen the bird yet, but this appears to be a nest built by a Carolina Wren. Thank you, Bryan, for suggesting this. The nest and eggs really seem to match the description!

14 comments:

  1. That is so cool. We have blue tits building a nest in the nest box in the garden but I don't want to disturb trying to get a shot.

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kateri,
    I think it is a Carolina Wren nest. You should have them in Michigan and they like to nest in crazy little spots. My uncle has had them nest under the seat of an upside down canoe. Here's a picture of a nest and the eggs look similar and the same number: http://www.sialis.org/nestscarolinawren.htm. Hope they are successful for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a lucky find. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Growing up we had mocking birds that built a nest in that same spot every year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet find! Hope they have a successful brood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those birds build nests in the darndest places! I hope you get to watch the babies grow up and fly away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great sheltered place for a nest! Hope they hatch for you to see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. such lovely little eggs...I love finding beauty in unexpected places.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How neat! This is the second next and eggs i have seen while blogging this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting looking nest, and the speckled eggs are so cute!

    Happy MM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kateri, I don't have a clue but they are lovely and your picture is a good one. I hope someone who is an expert in birds can assist. Have a nice Tuesday tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a perfect place for a nest! Those eggs are beautiful...hopefully mama shows up soon.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.