Friday, November 9, 2012

Fairy Dragon


There is magic in the forest floor
dampness hangs in the air
with the lingering earthy perfume
of moss and moldering leaves
treasures to be found
enchanting to a little girl
acorn caps and gold thread roots 
vines of princes' pine
to weave into garlands for her hair
mossy rocks and slippery snails
and here a magic feather from 
a  great hooting owl
but the greatest spell of all
is cast by a little lizard 
a fairy dragon--
the little Red Eft as he scurries
from mossy rock to moldering leaf
on his magic fairy mission. 






Linked to Real Toads--where the challenge today is write a poem about animals of the temperate forest.  Red Efts are a fond memory from my childhood. I spent hours upon hours of my childhood playing in the magical and magnificent hardwood forest of upstate New York. (The photos in this post were taken in Vermont two years ago. Sadly, I have never seen a Red Eft in Michigan, though I am told they do exist here.)




20 comments:

  1. I've never seen one of those. I can see how they would inspire the imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a charming little guy he is!

    acorn caps and gold thread roots
    vines of princes' pine

    That is a marvelous turn of words. Loved the whole youthful feel of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Kateri! Thank you for bringing us this gem from your memories and childhood woods!! What a treasure to remember playing in such an imaginative and fantastical way...truly becoming one with the forest.

    Thank you for transforming this Friday!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is rather like the chameleon. My son had one once - but one day let it climb onto a tree, and it quickly changed its color and disappeared. I so love and believe "there is magic in the forest floor." Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the little guy and his fairy magic mission ~ Good one ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. These little guys live around here. They are gentle and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely little creature!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a pretty tribute written to such an exquisite creature. My children were fascinated with these when we camped at Camp Koinona in upstate NY. I spotted them here also a few summers back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the magic in a forest floor. There is something about a forest that takes one back to childhood. I love that little Red Eft he's so cute. Beautiful poem, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I can one day see that creature.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's lovely. We have those wee creatures around here so much in the spring that when we walk the woodland trails we have to keep our eyes down to we don't squoosh any!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is magical! No other word will do for acorn caps, golden threads and red dragons.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love your poem & pictures of this little fairy dragon on his magical mission!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kateri, your photographs are beautiful works of art. They take my breath away!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a delightful post so evocative of a magical childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never seen one of these little guys, he certainly does look like a fairy dragon! Your poems are always beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Positively fascinating ... I never knew these little creatures existed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this enchanted piece. It has a fairytale feeling to it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What enchanting pictures and words!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.