Thursday, July 21, 2011

Gathering Basket


 When we moved two years ago, I gave away most of my handmade basket collection. (It was bulky and somewhat fragile, making it hard to pack--so I ended up giving many of the baskets to a local charity to sell at their annual fundraising craft fair.)

I was sorely missing having a wide shallow basket for harvesting my delicate crops such as squash blossoms and dill flowers this past weekend, so I went out to our woods, pulled down a bunch of wild grape vines, and wove myself a gathering basket. It may not be the most perfect basket I have ever made, but it is sturdy and durable and does the job it was made for!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Kateri, Wow! I am impressed with your craftsmanship! Basket weaving is something I appreciate a lot. I have a few baskets that have been hand-made here in TN and in OH by talented artists. I think the combination of art and function is great! Have a super nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love it, you did such a greatjob too, love your harvest too, love this time of year, most of our veggies have passed with the heat, but have some tomatoe plants on my porch still doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! My basketmaking was limited to storebought supplies. You are so creatvie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! My baskets are very rustic and simple compared with those made by a master of the craft. The thing that has set mine apart is that they are wild crafted. I learned to make baskets when I was 12 or 13 and since then I have always loved going out into the marshes or woods with a pair of pruners and weaving a basket from freshly gathered materials right there on the spot. I used to sell these...hopefully someday I will have time to do that again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful that is, everything from your garden or woods!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so beautiful and handy. I love it. Great work when making it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so captivated by the squash blossoms, I missed the basket at first. Very cool that you can gather the materials nearby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful basket, kateri. You have crafty fingers in addition to your green thumb.

    Well, my little work break is over now & I must return to my duties. I really enjoyed this 10 minute interlude on your blog.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.