Last Thursday I picked up a dozen black australorp chicks. This a case of "don't count your chickens before they are grown up" though. They are straight run, and I am hoping for at least six hens and one nice rooster out of the batch. Now we just have to keep these chicks safe and healthy so they can grow up.
I was really happy to find them at Tractor Supply, since black australorp was the breed I really wanted when I first got chickens --in fact the first chicks I got in the spring of 2008 where black australorps (I only had them for about a week. We had them in a cage in the garage--a raccoon got its filthy little hands through the wires and pulled each little chick out and ate them all--there was nothing left but beaks and feet.) I was living in town at the time, and this breed seemed like they would make the perfect city chicken. They are gentle, calm, and quiet, and do well in smaller spaces.
They are also cold hardy and excellent egg layers, routinely laying through the the winter. The hens do tend to go broody, though, and make good mothers. They are large birds, with the hens weighing seven to eight pounds. (Compare that to my California white hens who weigh about four pounds.)
The roosters are supposed to be gentle giants. Their spurs are short and blunt instead of long and sharp, like a lot of roosters. From what I have read they will protect the hens like they are suppose to, but won't go hunting humans down and don't go out of their way to attack unless they feel their hens are in danger. (I just gave away my two Silver laced wyandotte roosters last week. They were stunningly beautiful birds, but it was getting to the point where I was putting on goggles and felt like I needed a suit of armor to collect the eggs. I was able to find someone who raises silver laced wyandottes who was looking for roosters to go with his flock of hens. I am really happy that they went to a good home, where they will be useful, instead of being turned into stew.) Australorp roosters are pretty plain looking--solid black and stocky. But that is better than being attacked multiple times a day!
awwwww what a cutie!
ReplyDeletewhat a cute little fella. hope they all grow up healthy and uneaten by predators. that silver lined rooster was beautiful. sorry you had to give them away. hope all is well. have a great day.
ReplyDeleteHi Kateri, I had a mixed flock of R.I. Red's and Barred Rocks when I lived in Northern CA on a small bit of property many years ago. I can relate about predators and loss. Sad but all too true. The chicks you got look wonderful from the picture. I hope your gender ratio turns out to be what you want. Have a super great day and enjoy those babies!
ReplyDeleteThey almost look like ducks! Good luck with them.
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed the information about the Australorps. My daughter and son-in-law are looking into raising some chickens. I will pass your link along.
ReplyDeleteThat's a cute but sturdy looking little chick!
ReplyDeleteWhat a neat post today! The picture was really sweet. There are quite a few houses in my neighborhood with chickens in the backyard, & I've learned how painful they can be, but they are nice to have around (not to mention fresh eggs). Good luck with your chicks!
ReplyDeleteCute! Well, I cannot wait Your photos when it is grown up.
ReplyDelete