Monday, August 11, 2008

Caspian Pink

I'm trying a few different heirloom tomatoes this year that I haven't grown before. Mr. Stripey being the first to ripen. Today we had out second one, Caspian Pink--a large pink tomato.

I'm impressed by the size, and judging from all the green tomatoes on the plant, it looks like it will be very productive...which is certainly a plus and somewhat unusual in heirloom tomatoes. The flavor, at least this in the first one was just a bit disappointing. Bland instead of sweet and a bit mealy rather than meaty or juicy. It could be that I picked it when it wasn't quite ripe. It can be so hard to tell with some heirlooms as a lot of them are supposed to have the green shoulders. Last year I grew Cherokee Purple and let most of them rot--not on purpose, but because they are a purplish green when ripe, and and I kept waiting for them to turn completely purple. I'm trying not to make that mistake again! None the less, Caspian Pink was a heck of a lot better than any store bought tomato. And it did make some pretty impressive BLTs.

(I don't know why I keep calling these BLTs when they are lacking the Lettuce!).

I really, really need to cut back on BLTs...it appears one the hazards of being a visiting nurse (I started a new job with a home care agency a couple of weeks ago) is serious weight gain. At least I'm guessing that by looking at the majority of my coworkers. It certainly is a lot less active than the job I had previously working a hectic medical-surgical floor! No running around on your feet all day for 12 hour days! So now I'm off to the treadmill to work off the calories from the all that bacon.

2 comments:

  1. Aren't fresh BLT's the best!!!

    I just jumped over from Homesteading in a Condo. I wanted to say Hi and nice Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! BLTs are a little too yummy...I just bought another package of bacon while waiting for the next large tomatoes to ripen!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.