Friday, August 1, 2008

Summer splendor

So many things in full bloom right now....I have a hard time deciding what is my favorite! Here is cardinal flower. This is the first time I have ever had cardinal flower bloom. I got the plants in trade for Honeoye strawberry plants this spring.

I love this daylily...it is one I grew from seed.Terry and I both collect daylily seeds, and I grow them out and have fun seeing what they turn into. Often they are just the plain everyday ditch lilies or the Stella D'Ora type, but this year I have gotten some nice blooms. This one is one of my favorites this year. It is a prolific bloomer on short sturdy stems. The coloring is simple orange and yellow, but I love the way the petals alternate colors.

I also love this daylily--it was rescued from a construction site by Terry. It has great big lush looking brilliant orange blooms. (I love rescued plants!)

My zinnias in the front garden are going full blast and so are the marigolds. I winter sowed them this spring so they only cost me pennies per plant. They make my flower garden the loveliest one on the block. Okay, so the daylilies in this garden are pretty nice too. (This year there is not much of contest, though. I think I am the only one in the neighborhood who planted flowers. )

And last but not least, this lone phlox peeking out of a clump of hostas makes a lovely picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.