Yes, I am still harvesting! Today I finally picked my first broccoli raab today. I planted several times through the spring and summer and time my plantings bolted before the the plants even got big. This was so not the year for most greens! With all the extremes in the weather, from very wet to very dry, very cold to very hot, most of my green leafy vegetables just didn't do well. I did let one of the bolted broccoli raab plants go to seed and self sow. The flower buds are from the self sow seeds. This batch of plants looks very healthy and lush. If a cold snap holds off, I should be able to pick flower buds for at least a few more weeks. Today's little harvest got cooked up with potatoes, onions, and sausage and served for dinner.
I pulled my turnips today and ended up with two five gallon buckets of turnips. Turnip recipes will be coming soon in a blog post!
Swiss chard is the one green that did very well this year. I picked and froze another eight quarts this weekend. Again if a hard freeze holds off, I should be able to continue picking Swiss card from the garden for another few weeks.
There are still cabbage, beets, carrots, kale, Brussels sprouts, and baby spinach and lettuce in the garden waiting to be harvested.
I know a lot of people across the United States got snow this weekend. We are still snow free, but I finally did break down yesterday and light a fire in the wood stove. (Trying to be frugal with the wood that cost so much in sweat and hard work!)
Linked to Garden Life and Homestead Revival.
You sure had a great garden this year. I'm envious: ours just fizzled.
ReplyDeleteHope the hard freeze holds off until you can enjoy some more of the bounty from the garden!
ReplyDeleteFun to see these pictures of your garden's late season bounty!
ReplyDeleteHi Kateri, Oh I can't wait until you get those yummy recipes published here! You are a good photographer, gardener and cook (Nurse, too of course). I am back to my own blog as of today. I hope you'll have a fantastic coming week!
ReplyDeleteDo you use the bottoms of the turnips? I have only seen people around here use the greens! Everything looks great :)
ReplyDeletemmmm... turnip and potato soup maybe? :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the comments!
ReplyDeleteKelly, yes we use the bottoms of the turnips. There are turnips that are grown just for the leaves, but I have never grown them. I do occasionally eat the tops from these turnips, but they are grown primarily for the roots.
WOW! Those turnips just look fabulous.
ReplyDeleteHi there - fresh vegetables - what a splendid thing they are.
ReplyDeleteWill look forward to the recipes!
Stewart M - Australia
Wow, learning something new. I am in the south and right now there are turnip greens everywhere I turn :)
ReplyDeleteSuch an abundant harvest. You will be setting many splendid tables this autumn.
ReplyDeleteEverything looks lovely. Gorgeous turnips too! That's something I haven't yet grown or really even ever cooked, but I have always found them interesting. Will look forward to your recipes :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so jealous! Our garden didn't produce much this year. It all looks so awesome. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete~Lynn
A delightful harvest!
ReplyDelete