Thursday, October 13, 2011

Trio of Cranes


With October comes the flying of the sand hill cranes. The cranes roost at night in wetlands and in the morning leave family by family to gorge themselves in the newly harvested corn and soybean fields or (to the farmer's dismay) in the newly planted wheat fields. They are storing energy to make their long migration flight from Michigan to Florida where they will spend the winter.

Sand hill cranes usually only hatch out one little crane-ling each spring. The little crane stays with his parents all summer and fall and flies with them to Florida. Over the winter he finds a mate there and leaves his parents. When we see a trio of cranes in the sky most of the time we are seeing a parent with their young crane.

11 comments:

  1. Interesting post. It must be something to see those big birds in flight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHat a great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome photo, I love it. In September 19th, I saw hundreds of them, but I could not take good photos, because they were passing too far away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kateri, Having seen these magnificent birds last month in Yellowstone, I was thrilled to see that you also have the Cranes where you live! They are wonderful! I like your picture! Have a fantastic day and coming weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous perspective & timing - this is a beautiful image.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great picture! There is a big Sandhill crane festival every January in Willcox, AZ near here; they reported nearly 30,000 cranes in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great shot!!

    so they're on their way HERE!
    maybe i can get a picture one day...so you can see how your cranes are spending their winter!!
    true snow birds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the comments. :)

    Slim, they are one of the things I love about this part of Michigan.

    Satenada, interesting that you have sandhill cranes in Finland.

    Wildlife watcher, I am glad you finally got to see them.

    Candy, that is so neat.

    Laura, I think it will be few more weeks until they actually start the migration. They are busy eating and getting fat for the trip right now. I think they normally start heading to Florida in November. Hopefully they will have safe trip and you will see them soon!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.