To celebrate the first day of October, I harvested my pumpkins. Successfully growing pumpkins this year makes me feel very accomplished. It is the first time I have had a pumpkin harvest from my own garden since I have been living in Michigan. In the past, when I planted them, the squash vine borers quickly infested the stems, and the plants would die a slow and horrible death, leaving me with one or two immature green pumpkins. This year though, I was determined to outwit the borers.
None of the research I did was encouraging. The consensus across the board was that no matter what organic methods you take, you are going to end up with dead vines and few, if any pumpkins. But, today I am here to tell you---yes, it is possible to have organically grown pumpkins and squash in spite of the dreaded squash vine borers.
| Baby Bear Pie Pumpkins |
I foiled about half my plants--I didn't do them all so that I could compare them with the plants that weren't foiled. I honestly don't think the foiling made any difference. It was a lot of work and I have decided not to do it next year.
Oiling the stems was a lot messier and more time consuming that I thought it would be be--but I was treating 12 hills of pumpkins, 4 hills of winter squash, and 6 hills of summer squash. It took me all morning (3-4 hours) to complete this task each time I did it. If you were just doing a few hills, it wouldn't take that long. At first I tried to apply the oil with a rag, but that got so dirty I ended up just using my fingers. Oil and dirt don't mix very well. I had very dirty, hard to clean hands and finger nails by the time I was done. I used a high quality olive oil--I was going to use cheap vegetable oil, but my husband pointed out that extra virgin olive oil is very hard to wash off of dishes, so wouldn't that be better to use? It wouldn't wash off so easily in the rain.
Before oiling the stems I inspected the plants carefully for eggs and picked them off. This was easy, but also time consuming. The eggs are small, but dark and are easy to see.
I oiled the stems and hand picked eggs once a week from June 27th to July 10th. When I went out the next week to do it, the plants were vining heavily and it would have caused damage to the vines to try to get to the stems.
The vines did eventually get infested with borers, but the oiling and picking the eggs off gave the plants a chance to grow and become healthy and vibrant before the borers started to sap the strength out of them. Most of the pumpkin vines did die the last few weeks of September, but not before 95% of the pumpkins ripened. As for the summer squash, for the first time since I've been in Michigan, I had too many of them. In fact, zucchini and yellow crooknecks are still going strong. I made a huge batch of zucchini muffins today as well as a pasta dish with yellow squash. I've filled a freezer half full of squash. I've never had summer squash this late in the year.
| Pumpkins and squash lined up on our balcony. |
The extra work and effort was well worth in my opinion. Next year besides oiling the stems and picking off the eggs, I want to try putting tanglefoot around the stems to catch the moths as they lay the eggs. This is my own idea and I haven't seen it any where else. It will be interesting to see if it helps as well.
What about you--do any of my readers have a tried and true way of dealing with squash vine borers?
Linked to Farm Girl Friday, The Barn Hop, and Garden Life.
Linked to Farm Girl Friday, The Barn Hop, and Garden Life.
WOW Kateri! Looks like all of your hard work really paid off! What a great harvest of pumpkins! :)
ReplyDeleteFor some reason, I don't seem to have squash vine borers here (knock on wood) so I have never had to deal with them. I have only grown summer squash so far but I am considering pumpkins for next year.
Candy, we didn't have them in upstate NY, but I do remember friends from NJ and PA coming to visit and marveling at our squash and pumpkin crops and talking about how they couldn't ever grow them due to the borers. Then I came to Michigan and found out the borers are every bit as bad as I was I told. Hopefully you won't ever have to deal with them!
ReplyDeleteyour pumpkins are proof that your extra work this year paid off!! i've never tried to grow them...
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tips! I'm going to give them a try next year - maybe I'll be able to harvest some squash and zucchini then. This year was terribly disappointing...
ReplyDeleteDidn't try diatomaceous earth, eh?
ReplyDeleteI've also heard of washing down with a solution of sodium laureth sulfate. I didn't have the right equipment to dilute it and ended up scorching the leaves.
It's great to see your picture and read about your success. Thanks for sharing your tips!
ReplyDeleteI might give my french pumpkins a try next year.
Our pumpkins did poorly this year, but I still have some puree left over from last year so I'm very thankful for how well it grew then! I think ours fell victim to leaf footed beetles and I had planted them among the dent corn making it difficult to manage them. I'm so glad that your plan of attack met with success! The only thing I've heard about the borers is that you should burn the infected plants so they don't overwinter.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry but I have never heard of squash vine borers...totally foreign to me.
ReplyDeleteBut look forward to reading others comments.
Connie
What a great harvest! For the first time, I had squash vine borers, and didn't have a good harvest. I'm hoping it was a fluke, and I won't have to worry about it again.
ReplyDeleteDaniel, have you tried diatomaceous earth? From what I read it didn't sound practical for sqash vine borers. Would love to hear from someone who has successfully used it.
ReplyDeleteAnke and Carol, Good luck with your pumpkins and squash next year. I hope my tips help.
Connie, if you have never heard of these insects before, count yourslf blessed. You don't want them! :)
Laura, Thanks! The extra work was well worth it.
Teresa, I'm sorry! Hopefully you won't have them again.
ReplyDeleteKateri-
ReplyDeleteYour diligence is admirable. What a beautiful harvest! I saw squash bugs for the first time in my garden this summer, but I only had a few and I was able to pick and squish them. I await your post about what you will do with those perfect looking pumpkins. Have a GREAT week.
I tell ya! The borers are a pretty easy one to avoid, but the squash bugs are maddening!
ReplyDeleteTo avoid borers, don't set your plants out so early. Sometimes that is difficult due to growing seasons though. If you wait until after their life span, you don't have to worry about them....
Squash bugs are a different story because they are around all season, but the trick is to stay one step ahead of them at all times. We live in southern Missouri where the heat is crazy hot for most of the summer. Last year I spent hours spraying the crazy things with "organic" insecticide only to lose a few pounds by sweating and losing the entire crop. That was before I when I was trying not to touch them, HA!
This year I won because it was all out war. I used some odd paving stones around each hill which allowed me to really flood the area each morning. That cause the bugs to come scrambling up to the surface of the straw and leaves. Then I proceeded to pick them off and drop them into a quart mason jar with a few squirts of dish soap and some water where they died instantly. See them scramble only to end up in the jar is invigorating! I also scraped the eggs off into the jar. It was incredible how much that effort paid off.
Also, if they get ahead of you, just put a bit of dish soap and some water into a little hand sprayer. The soap seems to dry their exterior waxy coating and kills them, especially the younger ones, but it gets to the older ones too. You will be able to watch them die off instantly without spending any money on fancy organic things. It doesn't work on the eggs though, you still have to scrape them off with your fingernails. Killing the eggs is the key truly.
Hope this helps in some way!
Hiedi, I've been making some simple vegan recipes with the pumpkin (not allowed dairy and egg right now due to allergies). Hopefully I will get the time to share a few of them.
ReplyDeleteSharon, thanks for the info on the squash bugs. So far we've only had a few...hopefully it will stay that way! I agree the planting squash and pumpkins late would work well for people with longer growing seasons. Ours is just barely long enough to get pumpkins if I plant in June and the borer months are out until the middle of July at least.
Nice job! Your pumpkins are fantastic. I have not yet encountered those evil borers but at least now I have a clue how to deal with them.
ReplyDeleteWhat sort of oil do you use? Or does it not really matter?
Tiffany, I doubt that it really matters what kind of oil you use. I used a very thick olive oil though, since it is very hard to wash off dishes--I figured that it would be difficult for the rain to wash it off the plants.
ReplyDelete