Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Avocado Tree

One of the great things about having a compost pile are the surprises that come up in it. At first I thought this tree seedling might be a chestnut or a type of oak.

(Chickens are big fans of compost piles as well.)

It wasn't until I finally noticed the seed it was growing out that I realized it is an avocado tree.


It was such a pretty tree and looked so healthy that I couldn't let it freeze to death this winter. So back in October I potted it up and brought it inside. It still looks healthy and happy. From what I have read there isn't much chance of getting edible avocados off a seed grown tree, but it makes a handsome house plant non the less.

3 comments:

  1. They are pretty, but we have tried a dozen times and have never been able to get them to grow larger than that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kateri, Oh the memories! I had a huge Haas Avocado Tree in my backyard in Southern California at my former home there. We just had so many Avocado fruits we were giving them away to all of the neighbors! Yes, take good care of the plant and it will grow unto a large houseplant/outdoor plant. Very doubtful you have room for it in 5 years but enjoy it while you can. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That little tree got one healthy start, didn't it? When I have more room, I will try one.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.