Monday, April 27, 2009

Hobbit Hole

It is a rather non nondescript part of town--nothing particularly special about the neighborhood. I drove past the house twice because I couldn't see the address due to the overgrown evergreen hedge that lines the sidewalk. When I finally pulled up in the driveway, the first glimpse of the little stone house took my breath away. It was like walking into a scene from the Lord of the Rings.
There was a narrow stone pathway that led up to a little oval green door with large iron hinges that opened into a hallway with heavy dark beams and a rough stone floor. Then into a living area with a rounded stucco ceiling and big round windows, that looked out into a meticulously maintained wood land garden.
The interior of the house was dusty and cluttered, but filled with many beautiful and unique antiques. The 89 year old gentleman I had come to see invited me to sit down in one of two beautiful carved wooden chair and told me the story of how actress Bette Davis commissioned this pair of chairs to be carved and used them frequently in her home. (The patient's nephew confirmed the story.)
If I ever think I want to go back to working in the hospital, all it takes is a little house like this to remind me why I love being a visiting nurse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.