"It looks like wood … but it’s not. It’s El Trabajo Rustico, which combines Mexican folk art and American rustic art traditions to create “faux bois,” or fake wood. This art form uses cement to create garden benches, small bridges, gazebos and even trees. Southeastern Michigan’s Irish Hills area has one of the largest collections in the Midwest, many of which were skillfully restored by local Hillsdale artisan, Melinda LoPresto."
Yesterday I read this article in the little magazine that our electric company sends out each month...and realized that McCourtie Park is right across the street from one of the patients I was seeing today. So I planned an extra half hour into my day so I could stop and look at the 17 concrete bridges that span the little stream that runs through the park. The light was terrible for taking photos today, but the bridges were so neat I am posting some of them anyway. It was one of those places that makes me wish I had a little child to take there.
Another article that has a little more folklore....http://www.visitlenawee.com/page25.html
Oh I love them!! I wish we had an excuse to have a bridge like that in our backyard. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThose are really well done and attractive! How interesting!
ReplyDeleteHi Kateri, Fascinating and very realistic work. Thanks for sharing. Have a fine day today!
ReplyDeleteThey are pretty, and I'll bet a lot of wedding photos are taken on them.
ReplyDeleteWhat fun! The images are very nice even if it was a gloomy day... since it is in your neighborhood, I'm sure you will return on a nicer day, maybe in late spring (?) and take more pictures. I know I would! (thanks for your visit... I've had your blog open for two days trying to find a bit of time to enjoy your posts... off to visit more of them now!
ReplyDeleteFake wood, I have never heard about that in my country. I have to confess that They all are looking so great.
ReplyDeletethat's a little different. i guess the good thing about fake wood bridges is that you don't have to worry about wood rot...or bugs boring into them...or woodpeckers... :)
ReplyDeletethey look pretty cool...and from the pictures they DO look like wood. thanks!!
The wood look is very convincing in real life. From a distance, I thought the bridge in the 2nd photo was just a few fallen logs across the river. I do hope I get a chance to go back on a nicer day. My patient who lives next to the park said that is a very popular place for prom photos.
ReplyDeleteI am a relative of the McCourtie family and I've been researching this art form. The bridges and structures at McCourtie park are supposed to have been built by two apprentices to Dionicio Rodriguez, who was famous for his work in this medium. The faux bois using cement began in France about 1867. Rodriguez was from Mexico and was commissioned to do many works in the United States. His works are in Texas, Arkansas, Maryland, New Mexico, Illinois and Tennessee.
ReplyDeleteKate, thanks for stopping by and leaving an informative and interesting comment. These bridges at McCourtie park have so much charm and character. I would love to see other examples of the this type of art.
ReplyDelete