Sunday, April 17, 2011

Rainbow of Eggs


Yesterday I bought some eggs---even though the last thing I need right now is more eggs. Two other volunteers and I did a photo monitoring shoot on one of the privately owned protected lands for Michigan's Legacy Land Conservancy. The parcel of land we did did the photo monitoring shoot on is a 20 acre woodlot that is part of an 80 acre working farm that was established in 1840.  It was a beautiful woodlot with a floor that is carpeted with spring beauties and trillium. (Neither which were blooming yet, but oh, you could see the hundreds of thousands of plants that were were getting ready to burst into bloom. We made a note to do the next years photo monitoring shoot the first week of May when the flowers will be at their peak.) This is where I saw the almost opened hepatica flower I posted yesterday.

Anyway, the farmer's little daughter had her own flock of hens and sold eggs. For a dollar a dozen who could resist a carton of pretty eggs, even if I have more eggs than I need at home right now? (The eggs from my chickens are white and pale brown.)

8 comments:

  1. so pretty! I still dye eggs every year, just for the joy of it. The green one is dyed, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy, the green egg is the way it came out of the chicken. There are a few breeds of chickens that lay green and pink eggs. (It was the green eggs in carton that made me buy a dozen eggs I didn't need. :) http://www.ameraucana.org/faq.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't have chickens but are able to buy fresh eggs. There is nothing better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. we used to have some Arraucana (sp?) chickens that lay those green or geen/blue eggs!!!! perfect egg layers for easter!

    nothing quite like fresh eggs! what a difference in taste from store bought ones!

    and the picture perfect eggs in the crystal bowl! NICE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, yes all my chickens lay different shades of brown, I used to have a Easter Chicken that laid colored eggs, it was cool, thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kateri, I like the pale blue-green Arraucans eggs and also the brown ones. I used to have a tiny flock of Rhode Island Reds and Plymouth Barred Rocks way back when. I am glad you did the volunteer work and am glad you got a nice assortment of fresh eggs. Have a super day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh.. this is gorgeous! Lovely light and putting the eggs in that crystal dish really shows them off beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So they are really with those colors, not painted?

    In Finland we have the habit to paint eggs for Easter, so I thought at first they were painted. Anyways they are so beautiful and lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.