Saturday, April 30, 2011

Muscari Latifolium


Grape hyacinths are one of my favorite spring bulbs. I didn't realize until fairly recently that there are several different varieties of Muscari.. I planted these Muscari latfolium last fall and like them even better than the standard grape hyacinths. From what I have read they are just as easy to grow as other grape hyacinths, and naturalize quickly. They are native to pine barrens in Turkey, so don't mind poor soil, frigid winters and hot dry summers. I really like the bi colored blossoms. The tip can range from varying shades of blue to white, while the lower portion of the flowers are always dark blue.

Next fall I want to get the Delft Blue grape hyacinth collection. 


7 comments:

  1. They are very pretty. I had not seen them before, although we have large numbers of the standard ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this variety, but I haven't found them as easy to grow and naturalize, at least in my garden. I had 3 come up from about a dozen bulbs several years ago and still have 3 today. Strange thing is... the 3 this year are in a different place so I guess there is some naturalizing going on!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kateri, Quite beautiful. I had a few mini muscari pop up in my lawn this year. I do not know if the former owner had planted them or if the were volunteers sown by the birds. I think you are right about how nice they are as a group of flowering bulbs. Have a super nice Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am familiar with them, but from the description you gave, they would be perfect for my space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, that is interesting, kcjewel. I will have to see how mine do. There are blooming at least a week ahead of the standard grape hyacinths, which haven't started blooming yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the more common ones which I planted for the first time this past fall... I LOVE this variety that you have (and the photo is lovely) and will have to add some to my garden. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are really pretty flowers and especially when grouped. We have still some of them although my wife "devastated" big area of them in our flower garden.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.