Thursday, April 28, 2011

Field of Purple



Can anyone tell me the name of this little flower? I've never seen it take over a corn field like this before--acres and acres of purple. It is going to be sad to see the corn field plowed.

9 comments:

  1. NICE!!
    look at this...it MIGHT be Purple Dead Nettle:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamium_purpureum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laura! It is purple dead nettle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother always called this "Ajuga" or something like that, and we used to say it "AJUUgah!" like an old-fashioned car horn. he. he. I just noticed mine blooming behind our barn - I have never seen it fill a field, either. beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't what it was, either. Glad you got a time. Wow, it is pretty in the field.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trina, I googled Ajuga, and it is a different flower, though somewhat similar. I think we have some ajuga growing in on our property--I didn't know the name. I will have to look at it closely when it blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry, but I do not recognize it. It is seeing so pretty anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kateri, I don't have a clue but it sure is pretty whatever it is. Glad you took the photographs to remember it as it is now. Have a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice that someone identified this for you right off the bat! That's quite an impressive field of flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard dead nettle is a good plant for attracting and feeding bees. They sure are lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.