Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Spring Work on 13 Acres

Our little flock of chickens gathers to watch and follow behind us as we dig out invasive weeds from our woods--garlic mustard, box alders, mulitflora roses, and autumn olives. The fight to create a beautiful, healthy woods seems to never end. The chickens don't mind, though. To them the sound of digging means only one thing--easy to find bugs and worms!


I decided to expand the garden this spring (as if I need more work to do)! Actually we decided to plow up an additional patch of ground specifically as a pumpkin patch. I don't feel obligated to keep the pumpkin patch weeded once the plants start vining. A separate patch will free up already prepared ground for more vegetables and flowers (and hopefully keep the main garden looking less weedy).

(Breaking ground for the pumpkin patch.)

The work on our little farmstead never ends. I am just grateful for two days off in the middle of this week, and the cooler weather we have right now that has slowed down the growth of weeds and invasive plants.

7 comments:

  1. We had a pair of ducks that would follow my son around as he turned over every rock to help them find bugs and worms. They all loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that shot of the chickens in the wild. I am going to add a separate wildflower patch this year, but a tiny one, compared to that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look like some mighty happy chickens! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chickens should be happy to scratch up an area. smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy chickens! Once our yard is fenced I'm hoping to let our's roam about. I'm with you about not weeding once the plants are going to town :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. smart chickens!
    good luck with this year's garden and the pumpkin patch.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.