Monday, April 23, 2012

Trillium

It seems that the trillium in our woods have doubled since we moved out here three years ago. I'm not sure if that is possible--I didn't think trilliums are a wildflower that spreads quickly. Perhaps the little plants were there, but needed us to pull the garlic mustard which has been choking the life out of the woods, so that they could breath and grow.




In any case one section of our woods has hundreds of blooming trillium and many more young plants that will start blooming in the next few years. And ever better, we are starting to see trillium popping up here and there in other parts of the woods that didn't have any in the past two springs.

Slowly, surely we will restore the health and beauty of our woods.

11 comments:

  1. One of my favorite spring wildflowers. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just learned of the Trillium recently, when I started my new job, we saw white ones, and even a scarlet colored one, but no lovely pinks like you have..If there is scarlet and white,,,surely there will be pink somewhere in the forest. They are lovely...and your woods will be so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These start out white and turn light pink as flowers get older. I love the red ones, Faith, but so far haven't seen any in my woods.

      Delete
  3. That looks like a plant I have a patch of in my pasture, but I've never seen it bloom. I'll have to keep a closer eye on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, these are a woodland plant, though I have seen them continue to grow and bloom in areas that were fairly recently clear cut...

      Delete
  4. I didn't realize the white ones were pinkish on the back. Thanks for showing that.
    Today, I took for trillium leaves, nothing yet, here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, the trillium I have in my woods all start our white, and as the flowers start to fade some of them turn pink. These are a couple of weeks early for us.

      Delete
  5. Well aren't those lovely! We, obviously, don't have them here! LOL!! Thanks for sharing a new (for me) flower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read somewhere that where trilliums are plentiful it is a sign of a healthy ecosystem. That makes sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to keep my eye out for these. Seems like I've seen them somewhere around the farm before but I can't remember for sure where.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.