Friday, February 18, 2011

Tombstones From Nature

Maybe I am strange , but when I die I want to buried in a quiet corner of my land with a boulder as a headstone. On the the land I grew up on, there was a little cemetery with five graves--the husband and wife who where the original owners of the land, their son who died at 10 years old, and later the son and daughter in law who took over the farm are also buried there. (The farm had long been abandoned by the time my family bought the land and the farm house and barns where little more than crumbling foundations.)

Today in between seeing patients I slipped off for half an hour to explore one the oldest cemeteries in our area and I found the perfect headstone. A boulder mostly sculpted by nature, but with a few refining touches added by the stone cutter. Now I just need to keep my eye out for a boulder like this in our woods.

The inscription reads:
 Peter Peterson
 1782 -1861
Elizabeth
His wife
1789-1860

Though I would settle for one like this:

The inscription on this one reads:
Latham Kessick
Mary S. Kessick
(no dates.)

Actually, I think we do have a boulder that is very similar to this one.

8 comments:

  1. What an interesting idea! I have not seen anything like that, but I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love browsing cemeteries!I always wonder what the life story of each person is. I really admire your wishes...they are similar to mine. It's something we all have to think about, and it's nice when we have a choice in planning before the event takes place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Wildflower cabin. It is interesting to read headstones. The older the cemetary, the more interesting. We have some in our neighborhood that are from he 1800s as well.

    http://timkeen40.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is a neat idea. I am sure yours will be just as beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kateri, A most interesting and beautiful headstone, for sure. Have a great day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is sooo awesome!! wow!!!!

    i like cemeteries...old headstones...rock & boulders...this is just perfect!! really love it! thanks. :] have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello my loved one! I want to say that this article is amazing, nice written and include approximately all important infos.
    I'd like to look more posts like this .
    My web blog ... how to get rid of cellulite

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello my loved one! I want to say that this article is amazing,
    nice written and include approximately all important
    infos. I'd like to look more posts like this .
    Also see my site > how to get rid of cellulite

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.