Saturday, April 28, 2012

Starting Tomatoes the Easy Way


Winter sowing--a way to have all the plants you need (plus many more) for pennies each, without the mess and fuss of starting them indoors.

For the past 6 or 7 years I have started most of the plants I need for my garden using winter sowing.  Winter sowing is done by planting seeds in covered clear containers then putting them outside for the seeds to germinate on their own when they are ready. Winter hardy annuals and perennials can be started anytime during the the winter. The more tender annuals get started several weeks before the last frost date.

Here in zone five I start tomatoes, cabbage, broccoli, zinnias, marigolds, etc, anytime between the first weeks of April and the first week of May. By the time our last frost in late May comes around, the plants are ready to go in the ground.



The milk jugs make mini greenhouses that provide warmth, hold in moisture and protect from frost. If we are getting a hard freeze and the tender annuals have sprouted, I do cover them up with a blanket at night. But the beauty of starting seeds this way is that the seeds tend to sprout when the time is right. Other than keeping the potting mix moist, and occasionally covering them jugs when there is going be a freeze, they are pretty maintenance free.


(Heirloom tomato seedlings.)



(broccoli and cabbage seedlings)


(A wheelbarrow full of winter sown tomatoes.)

I will be honest, when I first learned about winter sowing, I was skeptical that it would work for tomatoes, but after trying it once, I was hooked. Yes, the plants tend to be smaller than plants started indoors when they are ready to be set out, but once they are set out in the garden they quickly catch up to and tend to surpass the nursery grown plants. Because they have been growing outdoors their entire lives they tend to be hardy, sturdy little plants that are ready to burst into growth as soon as they are put in the garden.

Linked to Farmgirl Friday and Garden Life.

10 comments:

  1. Wow Kateri. What a bounty in the wheelbarrow. I am glad you posted this. I plan to try a few next winter and see how it goes. Thank you for sharing. BTW- the garlic you sent my last fall is 3' tall right now. It's twice as high as the others I planted at the same time. Amazing.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you garlic sounds like it is doing really well. I'm looking forward to photos of the harvest!

      Delete
  2. What a great idea! No more seed starting mess in the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, no more mess--and hardier plants to boot!

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of this technique!! You mean I could actually get my sewing table under the south window back?!? LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can! Starting seeds this way is so simple it is easy to get carried away and end up with WAY to many plants. This year I made a real effort not to do that. :)

      Delete
  4. I will do this next year. Thanks, Kateri, for a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure makes sence to me ~ I have had tomatoes sprout in the spring from tomatoes left in the garden the previous year. They always seem to do better! Hope I can remember to give this a try come next winter! Perhaps you can give us a reminder when you plant yours? :~}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to do that, Lady Farmer. Meant to get a post up earlier this year, but never got to it.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.